- This event has passed.
Biochar Field Day
October 30 @ 5:00 pm - 8:00 pm MDT
Learn more about biochar! Hosted by Rachael Ryan of Backyard Farms, the field day workshop and demonstration will provide basic information on:
- What is biochar?
- How can it be used in gardening and farming?
- How to make your own biochar from your own yard waste
- The history of biochar from the use of Terra Preta 2,500 years ago in the Amazon Basin to modern regenerative agriculture practices
- The ecology of biochar and wildfires in the desert Southwest
- The process of making biochar (biomass torrefaction pyrolysis)
- Biochar as a soil amendment to increase soil moisture storage, promote beneficial soil microorganisms, and induce resistance to fungal diseases and improve plant responses to soil borne pathogens
- Using biochar to fight climate change by sequestering carbon in the soil (where it belongs!)
The event is followed by a free meal for participants.